[NTLK] Newtscape, ETC.

From: Glen Warner (gdwarner_at_mindspring.com)
Date: Sun Jan 05 2003 - 04:47:42 EST

NewtonGuy <newton2100_at_alltel.net> wrote:

> Is there a way to do a browser check for Newton browsers? I would
like
> to be able to forward these browsers to simple pages if they go to
one
> of my sites. I code pages mainly for newer browsers and since I have
> read here of problems for newtons browsing sites with tables etc, I
> want to accommodate.

A little JavaScript in the head of your pages should do the trick ...
include something like --

var isNS = 0;
var isMSIE = 0;
var isOpera = 0;
var isOtherBrowser = 0;

if (navigator.appName.indexOf('Netscape')
     isNS=1;

Else {

if (navigator.appName.indexOf('MSIE')
     isMSIE = 1;}

Else {

if (navigator.appName.indexOf('Opera')
    isOpera = 1;}

Else {isOtherBrowser)}

You know, something like that. From here, you should be able to
direct the visitor to your site to an appropriately coded page.

I should warn you -- my DHTML class starts Monday, so that code will
more than likely need a lot of modification to work.

Good luck!

--gdw

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html