Re: [NTLK] Newtscape, ETC.

From: Steve Weyer (weyer_at_kagi.com)
Date: Sun Jan 05 2003 - 20:04:27 EST

> From: Glen Warner <gdwarner_at_mindspring.com>
>
> NewtonGuy <newton2100_at_alltel.net> wrote:
>
>> Is there a way to do a browser check for Newton browsers? I would
> like
>> to be able to forward these browsers to simple pages if they go to
> one
>> of my sites. I code pages mainly for newer browsers and since I have
>> read here of problems for newtons browsing sites with tables etc, I
>> want to accommodate.
>
> A little JavaScript in the head of your pages should do the trick ...
> include something like --
>
> var isNS = 0;
>
> if (navigator.appName.indexOf('Netscape')
> isNS=1;

or you could check the User-Agent: header in the http request
(probably what JS is accessing)

(though Newt's Cape has an option for user to set User-Agent to handle the
reverse problem -- some sites assuming that if it ain't Mozilla or Internet
Explorer that the client can't handle cookies so user's have to trick the
server).

--
Steve
  weyer_at_kagi.com