Re: [NTLK] Forum

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Mon Jan 06 2003 - 20:26:28 EST

Martin Joseph wrote:

> I am sure I don't understand this completely...
>
> Where is the read only NNTP group to be hosted? Would this also reside
> on your server? Sorry I don't really have the whole picture here, and
> I am far too curious to just let it drop.

Think of it this way:

NNTP is just a protocol for transferring news. Usenet (aka "newsgroups") is a
large (very large) network of servers that use NNTP to ferry messages around.
  Just using NNTP doesn't mean that you're connected to Usenet. Lugnet, the
LEGO Users' Group Network, uses NNTP and their own news servers as primary
discussion groups: they have their own internal hierarchy structure and
everything, but without all the crap, insecurity, and volume of Usenet.

Hope that's clear now. It would be running on the Newtontalk server.