Re: [NTLK] German Phone line Compatibility

From: Mark Bock (markbvt_at_adelphia.net)
Date: Wed Jan 08 2003 - 13:44:09 EST

>Does anyone on the list know if phone lines in germany are compatible with US
>hardware and visa versa? For instance if one was to use a US modem in germany
>would it function the same way as here and alternatively if one was to
>purchase a modem in germany or a telephone would the telephone function here
>in the US/CANADA?

I've routinely used my Powerbook to dial up in Europe with no
problems, although as someone else stated, you do need to turn off
dial tone detection (this is a simple click box in Mac OS; on a
Newton you may need to add the AT command, I've never tried it).

The one thing that makes life a little complicated is that in most of
Europe they don't use the same kind of phone line plugs (RJ11) that
we do in North America, so you need to get an adapter kit. But these
are widely available in the same sorts of places that carry travel
power converters. And some of the newer phones actually do have an
RJ11 plug on the phone end of the line (wall outlet is something
different), so you can just unplug the phone and plug the line into
your modem.

--mark

--
. . . . .
mark bock

"A youth who can't hit a cathedral at thirty yards with a Gatling gun in three-quarters of an hour, can take up an old empty musket and bag his grandmother every time, at a hundred." --Mark Twain

PGP Public Key: available at http://www.armchaircommando.org/key.html PGP Fingerprint: 1A59 BBB7 DF23 9FEC 5897 5C7B 7703 78FB CC33 6ABC