Re: [NTLK] Best way to condition my batteries

From: Andrew Beals (bandy_at_cinnamon.com)
Date: Wed Jan 08 2003 - 18:47:11 EST

On Wed, 08 Jan 2003 15:03:53 -0800, Henry Stukenborg <hjstukenborg_at_mac.com>
wrote:
>Thanks Stephen, these are NiCD, so I need to drain and rejuvenate them!

But not too far, especially if they're soldered together in a pack.

When your device says "time to recharge the batteries", don't try to find out
how far they can last and certainly don't do that with regularity. This is
how half of all NiCd packs get fried. Put them on the charger and let them
juice up.

The other half of NiCd packs/cells fail because they're trickle-charged
forever. Remember how fussy NiCds were before the invention of "smart
chargers"? They get too hot from the constant application of trickle current
[found in a slow charger] and this drives the water from the cells ... which
happens to be one of the working components!

Claimer: I'm not a battery chemist but I have used the things for decades. I
get very good battery life from my lead-acid, NiCd, NiMH and Li-Ion batteries
by practicing what I preach.

[If you wish to read more, google for nicd myths and click "I'm feeling lucky"]

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html