Re: [NTLK] OT New 12" PowerBooks

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net)
Date: Sat Jan 11 2003 - 11:18:38 EST

on 11/01/03 11:07, Laurent Daudelin at laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net wrote:

> on 11/01/03 10:40, Daniel Vokes at dvokes_at_mac.com wrote:
>
>> Am I the only cheap skate Apple user out there? Why really go for a 17"
>> TiBook, when the 12" is a far more practical laptop. I just wonder the
>> difference in battery life, the ease of portability and the space and I
>> see that the 12" wins flat down. Sure you may need to burn DVD's, but
>> it does this too. Anyway I have this on my Dad's G4 733 and neither of
>> us have burnt one ever!
>
> Well, you have to be aware that the 12" has some limitations compared to the
> 17". For instance, there is 128 MB of RAM soldered onto the motherboard and
> that leaves only one RAM socket for expansion. So, you're limited to 640 MB.
> There is no Level 3 cache. The video card is also the NVIDIA GeForce4 420
> instead of the 440 in the 17". There are no PC card slot on the 12" and
> you're limited to FireWire 400. The 800 Mbits option (or FireWire 2) is only
> available on the 17". Finally, you're limited to 100 Mbits Ethernet on the
> 12" while the Titanium and the 17" have built-in GigaEthernet (1 Gbits).
>
> So, the PowerBook G4 12" is basically a soup up iBook...

Oh, and I forgot to mention the most important feature: no auto-sensor and
lighted keyboard on the 12"!!!

-Laurent.

finger-pointing syndrome n.: All-too-frequent result of bugs, esp. in new or experimental configurations. The hardware vendor points a finger at the software. The software vendor points a finger at the hardware. All the poor users get is the finger.