Re: [NTLK] Nethopper

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Jan 14 2003 - 14:09:20 EST

OK. your dhcp server...is this one you own? or are you
using your cable provider's dhcp? It could be that the
cable company is restricting unknown MAC addresses
from getting an IP from them. If you are relying on
the cable company to disburse IPs, forget it...do it
your self via a proxy configuration or by natting your
network.
But I've heard that for some cable companies natting
through a router may not work because the MAC address
isn't registered with them...
Let us know your configuration so we can give further
advice.
Ed
web/gadget guru
http://npds.tek-ed.com (my NPDS server and it's new
subdomain)

--- Danny Zumwalt <dannyzumwalt_at_mac.com> wrote:

> I think I got my newton to connect to the
> internet.. I go to Nethopper, put in an address (I
> understand it is a html 1.0 and doesn't translate
> addresses) so I put in an address like
> www.google.com or http://guelph.unna.org/ and hit
> go. It loads the dhcp driver (using a ethernet card
> through a switch, connected to a router, connected
> to a cable modem) and then says the address could
> not be found.
>
> What am I doin wrong? I have my internet setup on
> the newton to dhcp and set for the ethernet card. I
> have the drivers installed. I'm out of guesses...
> this has been much more difficult than I thought.

=====
May every SPAM you receive magically come true.
 -Spencer F. Katt; eWeek magazine