Re: [NTLK] Way to tell if Newton is Japanese?

From: Anton Balaban (anton_at_balaban.ru)
Date: Wed Jan 15 2003 - 18:06:52 EST

On Thursday, Jan 16, 2003, at 00:55 Europe/Moscow, John Anderson
<dearjohn_at_everchanging.com> wrote:

> I want to try out using a different text encoding for Japanese Newtons,
> but I'd love to be able to automatically detect whether or not the user
> has a Japanese-language Newton.

Dear John!

I'm sorry I can't help you on the subject, but (while we are at it) me
and some other Russian, Ukranian, Bulgarian Newton owners would greatly
appreciate if you could add Cyrillic support to NewtSync. Names and
Dates data on MP 2x00 is stored in MacCyrillic encoding (it's 8bit, in
the "upper" 128 characters normally used for umlauts etc in MacRoman
encoding). I can transfer Names to my Mac, but can see only garbage in
OSX address book because Mac thinks that it's MacRoman encoding. I'm
not a programmer, but hope that adding such support (recoding from
Newton's MacCyrillic to OSX Unicode) won't be very hard. I believe that
text encoding facilities should exist in OSX. And I don't think
language auto-sensing is critical (though cool indeed), some setting in
prefs woud be fine. Thank you for your work!

Anton

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html