Re: [NTLK] need some help !

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Jan 16 2003 - 00:01:04 EST

WEll, I can't help in the ram card department, but I
can tell you that the Newton has no seperate book
reader. The Newton book is compiled in the format you
get it in from the time and point it was created.
There are three popular book creators (4 if you add
Newtscape). The only one that allows dynamic
formatting are books created in Paperback. These books
will size to your Newt and will allow font sizing.
Unfortunatly, there are no persistant bookmarking
(this means, if you reset your Newt, you loose your
place in the book) and TOCs are prohibitivly
complicated to create, so most Paperback books don't
use any form of indexing.
The thing that makes the Newt cool is it's lack of
analogy to current computing standards. The Newt
operates so differently from the application/document
mind set so prevelant in today's computing, it
sometimes confuses the neophite user. (I ran into the
same learning curve with my AT&T EO. It's
template/book format drove me batty...I never knew if
I was creating a new template, of filling one in.)
Ed
web/gadget guru
come and see my Newt on the web (well, mostly) at:
http://65.84.243.167
Come see my books I've created at my IP above. Click
on the books link at the bottom of the page. You can
download the ones I created, but just look at the ones
that are copyrighted...they're for my own personal
use.

--- Ted Ramsden <tramsden_at_shaw.ca> wrote:

> First off, My Chocolate Lab just finished off her
> dinner with a nice 36 meg
> pretec card ! I am in need of a new card prefer 4 -
> ?? any spares for sale
> (2100 ) ?
>
> Secondly, is there a way to increase the size of a
> book in the stock reader
> app. ? Or is there a better reader than the stock
> one ??
>
> Thks
>

> Ted
>

> bad dog !
>

> --
> This is the NewtonTalk list -
> http://www.newtontalk.net/ for all inquiries
> List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms:
> http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html
> Official Newton FAQ:
> http://www.chuma.org/newton/faq/

=====
May every SPAM you receive magically come true.
 -Spencer F. Katt; eWeek magazine