Re: [NTLK] Copyrighted books

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Jan 16 2003 - 13:30:30 EST

I have the entire LOTR series in Newton Book format.
If you go to http://newton.tek-ed.com/lotr, you will
be asked to give your name. That information is
stored, along with your IP and the date and time of
your visit. I do not capture what you downloaded, only
that you requested access to my LOTR public site. I
have written to Tolkien Enterprises for permission to
publish the LOTR books in Newton Book format, they
referred me to a special branch of the Harcort Press
who covers electronic distribution, I got a return
reciept from my registered letter to them requesting
permission to distribute LOTR. This was over a year
ago and I have not heard anything back from them. I
feel that I have made a reasonable attempt to protect
their potential copyright and by their lack of
responce, they don't seem to want to take the steps to
protect their copyright as far as Newton books are
concerned. The reason I capture the information from
visitors is incase they (we're talking about the
publishers) ever do decide to come chasing after me, I
will be able to give them a record of the number of
visitors and if they want, they can chase down the
people and determine if there was a copyright
violation. As it stands, I believe that due to their
lack of response, it's a pretty safe bet that they
consider the Newton Book distribution to be minimal
and not worth the effort of policing.
As to my other copyrighted books I have placed on my
"private" download page, I created them (there's one
or two that I found the text for) by cutting the
binding off of the book, putting the pages in my
scanner and using an ADF, scanned the pages and OCR'd
them to text mode. Then using Word, I spell checked
for recognition errors then saved as RTF, then dumped
into Newton Book. Afterwards, I shred the pages (I
can't bring myself to burn a book) As a result, I
destroyed completly one copy of the book for my
Newton.
I believe that this list is a group of "fair"
individuals who respect well developed items,
including books and such. As such, let your own moral
judgement be your guide as to whether or not you wish
to read the books (as this point, they are no longer
copies...the original no longer exists) on your
Newton. If you don't own a hard copy of the book, and
you're reading a digital copy, then I dont' see any
real problem.
.Ed
web/gadget guru
http://npds.tek-ed.com (my NPDS server and it's new
subdomain)
--- Donald Wilson <marchie_at_mac.com> wrote:

> Books that are copyrighted, that if we have a hard
> printed copy of our
> own, we are allowed to make copies of for our own
> personal use.
>
> I have the first 2 Harry Potter books in NewtonBook
> format, that I made
> from text files.
>
> I'd really like to get ahold of any/all of Tolkien's
> books,
> specifically the Lord of the Rings novels.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> ~Donald
>

> --
> This is the NewtonTalk list -
> http://www.newtontalk.net/ for all inquiries
> List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms:
> http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html
> Official Newton FAQ:
> http://www.chuma.org/newton/faq/

=====
May every SPAM you receive magically come true.
 -Spencer F. Katt; eWeek magazine