Re: [NTLK] Handwriting recognition help

From: Patrick Jendraszak (indyibook_at_insightbb.com)
Date: Sat Jan 18 2003 - 09:48:04 EST

You may want to check the Newton FAQ at www.chuma.org/newton/faq/ for
many type of Newton issues. It's really good.

 From what you are saying, it appears that you have the "jaggies".
Basically, random pen input appears when you draw or write It can be
caused by two things: - Dirt that has collected between the lip of the
case and the touchscreen or an actual problem with the screen.

If it is dirt, besides using the credit card trick, you might also try
compressed air ... I have tried that on units before.

The other thing that the FAQ notes is that it could be "(a) damaged or
oxidized touchscreen connector inside your Newton ." I have read on
this list of folks correcting the jaggies by cleaning the connector,
but if I remember correctly, the disassembly process is not for the
faint of heart.

The only other thing is does it happen only when you rest your hand on
a certain part of the case? If so, that might be the area where dirt is
lodged.

It might be good for folks on the list to know from which vendor you
purchased the unit ... and who is evidently trying to get you to
replace the screen for more than what you paid for the unit originally.

Patrick

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html