Re: [NTLK] eMate hinges

From: Frank Gruendel (fg2_at_pda-soft.de)
Date: Mon Jan 20 2003 - 13:14:01 EST

>Now that I have my emate disassembled, what kind of grease should I be using
>on the hinges.

If the spring legs are still ok, I normally use oil which I apply with a syringe. Unlike
grease is will be sucked automatically between spring and axle.

>Do I have to desolder the board to access the hinges (only
>the left hinge needs the washer fix) for greasing?

Yes. See

http://www.pda-soft.de/emate_disassemble.html
http://www.inventors-emporium.co.uk/pages/newton-emate-hinge.html

>Can I put grease in there without taking it apart?

No. For the application of grease to make sense, you will have to take the
hinge apart.

As to the need of the washers: Put a washer on the hinge where the display
cable is, no matter if you think it is needed or not. Putting it in costs you
30 seconds and a couple of cents. Having a dead display cable fixed costs
you 15 bucks plus shipping back from Germany ;-)

Frank

-- Newton hardware and software at http://www.pda-soft.de

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html