Re: [NTLK] Grease for eMate hinges

From: Frank Gruendel (fg2_at_pda-soft.de)
Date: Mon Jan 20 2003 - 13:18:12 EST

>I use a pair of wire cutters to CAREFULLY grab the spring and pull it
> back out. The springs should make just more than one wrap around the shaft.

Do you mean you pull it back out while it is still around the shaft, i. e. without
disassembling the hinge? Never tried that, but if it doesn't kill either spring or
shaft, it would make things much easier.

>Once the springs are back to their proper length, and greased, the addition
>of washers is redundant IMNSH0, as you have corrected the cause of the problem.

As I mentioned, these washers cost next to nothing and putting them on can
be done in no time. So why take a chance? The hinges were properly greased
and ths springs had sufficiently long legs when Apple put the hinges in, and
still they punch ribbon cables these days...

Frank

-- Newton hardware and software at http://www.pda-soft.de

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html