[NTLK] A jaggies tonic (was: Jaggies)

From: Doug Parker (dougparker_at_progressdata.com)
Date: Tue Jan 21 2003 - 10:07:53 EST

>> After unmounting the CF card, the jaggies went away
>>completely. Gosh the Newt is a relief to use when it
>>works well!
>
>I doubt that this was the result of anything _on_ the
>card, it was probably the fact that with the card being
>installed the pressure from the case on the digitizer
>is different.

I stripped my Newt down to clean the screen/PCB connection last night:

http://www.pda-soft.de/2x00_disassembly31large.jpg

(Thanks, Frank, for the web image.) I used De Ox Id, Radio Shack's verion of
De Ox It :-\ to clean the two sets of contacts. In the image, notice the
white, gummy, silicone pressure pad under the four traces.

<Ob song reference>
Traces of Love, Classics IV
</Ob song reference>

The pad sits free in its little slot. I reversed the pressure pad, turning
it upside down when I reassembled my Newt--the surface had permanent
indentations where the traces were. The top was understandably mushroomed.
Flipping the pressure pad upside down provides a fresh surface and raises
the surface of the material slightly to provide more force and better
contact between the connectors. I also cut a piece of posterboard the same
size as the silicone pad and placed it underneath the pad to give it
slightly more height.

Most of the jaggies, but not all of them, have ceased.

If they continue, I'm considering diving in again and using a pencil eraser
to lightly burnish and scrub the connector surfaces.

I dream of a jaggie-free Newt.

Doug Parker
Bumper sticker: I find it difficult to believe that you're the product of 2
million years of evolution.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html