[NTLK] Consumer battery cages-->newton

From: Damien Batstone (djb_at_er.dtu.dk)
Date: Wed Jan 22 2003 - 08:31:30 EST

>Hi All,

 From the ugly, but it works dept. I've been modifying consumer battery
cages to go into my 2100.

You may have remembered this was raised before, and considering battery
cages go for $40+, and newts without cages cost about that much...

Mod 1 was just to cut away plastic, so it fits, and a snap on connector can
be attached. That's pretty lame. You can also do it so the newton is not
modified with a snap on adapter. Anyway, it's mod's pretty easy. Here's
how it goes

Use the two and two battery cage, with the snap on terminal. (It has RS, so
maybe radioshack?)
Line it up so that negative points towards the negative spring.
Remove material from the top using a big heated coarse round file (or your
weapon of choice) to cut the divot at the top.
Cut the two grooves on the other side using a hacksaw to fit the locators
in the newton.
It should now fit in the newton, and start to slide in.
Pull it out again, and remove the negative snap on terminal and spring.
Drill a 7-8mm hole for the negative (newton) spring to contact the negative
terminal of the battery.
Remove the positive clip part (but not the rivet) using hacksaw and file.
This is the tricky bit. You need to solder a heavy bit of wire on the
inside of the positive terminator to contact the positive clip of the
newton. I needed to pull the newton apart to get this right. Tin the
wire, and build up the end until it contacts the positive terminal
firmly. You may need a few applications.
Cover the exposed positive terminal at the end with heavy tape.

All done. It should slide in, and stay firmly. I have attached a loop of
string so I can pull it out easily. It's really easy to make these
rechargable in the newton as well, as the hacksaw grooves line it up with
the charging contacts. Now I just need to make a cover for the battery
compartment, so it looks nice. I can make cages up in about 1/2 an hour
each, and there's no need to pull the newt apart now one is made.

Cheers,

Damien

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html