Re: [NTLK] Newton App for Tracking Class Attendance

From: Tom McDougal (TMcDougal_at_newted.org)
Date: Fri Jan 24 2003 - 12:52:22 EST

On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 Chris Searles wrote:
> Can anybody suggest a good app for tracking students' attendance in a class,
> i.e. for ticking the date when they were there or not? I had a look at
> Clarity

Another reader mentioned Learners Profile from Sunburst. LP will indeed track attendance and if you mark a student tardy it will note the time, which might be useful. I was really interested in it since I wanted to try recording more anecdotal and on-the-fly information. After much hand-wringing I bought it (it ,as expensive). As I tried to put it into operation I discovered some shortcomings which ultimately made it unusable for me. The main one was that it just didn't produce the kinds of reports I needed. Also, it was hard-coded for a smaller (MP 120?) screen, wasting much realestate on my MP 2100 and making it not possible to view an entire roster of students without scrolling. I contacted Sunburst and they said the Newton version was no longer supported and they had no idea where the Newton code was (if it still existed). SOL.

If /when I to go back into the classroom I will look at Leverage, a full-fledged database program with connectability to FileMaker Pro on the desktop.

If you are interested in purchasing it from me (and after that glowing recommendation I'm sure you are), or if you want to talk about it some more, you should probably contact me off-list.

Best wishes to you. Teaching is the hardest job I know.

-Tom
email me at: tom dot mcdougal dot 84 at alum.dartmouth.org

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html