[NTLK] Newton Newbie; A Few Questions

From: Sean Cross (scross_at_familycross.com)
Date: Fri Jan 24 2003 - 15:06:14 PST

Greetings!
I am a newton newbie, or rather will be once my eBay purchase arrives.
I am moving to the Newton after my refurbished Visor of 4 months decided
it didn't want to turn on. Conveniently, I saw a friend's newton the day
of my Visor's death, and I Was hooked. I bought a 2100 off eBay, and I hope
to have it by tomorrow.

I am a college student, and I intend to use my new Newton as a notetaking
device, in addition to a PDA. I had a few questions, though.

First, what is the best notetaking/outlining program, if one exists? I tend
to take paper notes in outline form, but I would be open to alternatives when
using the Newton.

Additionally, do programs exist to allow the notetaking of calculus symbols,
such as the integral, sigma, or exponential glyphs?

Second, I'm going to need a dongle/USB<->Serial adapter, or a NIC. Which
connection solution is reccomended by the readers of this list? If forced
to choose between the two, which one would you pick?

Third, I may need to replace/repair the battery. I've been reading on the
list about AA battery compartments. Is this the best solution? Or is an
actual battery pack preferable? Which lasts longer? Which is cheaper?

As I understand it, ATA cards work with a driver. Am I correct?

I believe that's everything I was wondering. Thank you for your time!

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html