[NTLK] IntelliSynch; Dead Newt

From: Seth Hollander (sethhollander_at_mac.com)
Date: Sat Jan 25 2003 - 08:51:07 EST

Can someone confirm that the following is on the right track? I plan
to try to synch a Newton with a Lotus Notes calendar database by 1)
purchasing IntelliSynch; 2) using IntelliSynch to synch Lotus Notes to
Lotus Organizer 2.1; and then 3) synch Lotus Organizer 2.1 to my Newton
using Win NCU.

The only concern I have about the setup is that the PumaTech website
indicates that IntelliSynch synchs to Lotus Organizer 2.1.2. So I
guess the gist of my question is whether WinNCU sees a LO 2.1.2 file
just as it would see a LO 2.1 file.

The reason I'm being so cautious is that my upgraded MP 2000 died
Thursday night, and I'm strongly considering buying a used MP 2100 from
J&K. But it wouldn't make sense if I can't ultimately synch with Lotus
Notes, as my workplace is inching toward using Lotus Notes calendaring.

I've tried all of Frank Gruendel's resets at
http://www.pda-soft.de/2x00_disassemble.html and haven't had luck yet
reviving my upgraded MP 2000, though I'm still waiting to see if
removing the batteries for an extended period of time does the trick.

Oh - I think the MP died as a result of overcharged nimh batteries,
though I can't be certain. I've been using some cheap Rayovac
rechargables for about a year now. Wednesday night I recharged them -
they still weren't fully recharged Thursday morning, so I left them in
the charger during the day Thursday. Came home and swapped the
rechargables back in. Later that night, I did two backups and two
synchs in a row. Just after the second backup and synch, I got some
error I don't recall, something about an internal error, and then I
think I tried the reset button. The screen went blank, and hasn't been
seen since (I'm not entirely certain of the sequence after the error
message - it was late). I wonder if the batteries were overcharged
somehow? This diagnosis does seem odd because the two backups and two
synchs are obviously decent battery draws, so the charge was probably
taken down a decent notch afterwards.

The only other thing I can suspect is that for some reason, I caught a
static shock touching I think the upper corner of the Newt, where the
protective rubber has worn off.

Does either theory make sense?

Thanks.

-Seth