[NTLK] Warning: If ever your port door breaks...

From: Frank Gruendel (fg2_at_pda-soft.de)
Date: Sat Jan 25 2003 - 17:10:09 PST

Hi folks,

since today I fixed my 6th touchscreen ribbon cable that was killed
by a broken port door, I feel it is time for a warning.
The hinges of this port door can't really be called hinges, they
are a bad joke. So, to start with, always open your Newton's
port door carefully. Grasp the door in the middle to distribute
strain equally between both "hinges" (haha).
If ever your Newton's port door feels different, DO NOT TRY
TO OPEN IT!
Usually the left hinge seems to break, and if that happens, it
can and will pierce the 4 lead touchscreen cable that connects
the touchscreen foil to the main logic board. After that, the
Newton won't react to the pen anymore.

Frank

-- Newton hardware and software at http://www.pda-soft.de

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html