Re: [NTLK] Best way to fix jaggies?

From: Jeremy Bond Shepherd (jbond_at_jameswhale.com)
Date: Sun Jan 26 2003 - 13:31:07 PST

> What do I do if cleaning the contacts does not work. I have read the
> archives and checked out the wiki wiki Newt website. I am really
> getting depressed about this.

I tried cleaning the contacts on my jaggified Newt with 2 different
kinds of contact cleaners/deoxidizers and never got any improvement.
Finally I bought one of Calvin Greir's backlight/touchscreen
replacements and after a few false starts, finally got it successfully
installed. I can report that it does definitely cure jaggies once and
for all (at least, one week running I have yet to see a single jaggy).
However, the new touchscreen does have a different feel to it that
takes some getting used to (requires more stylus pressure to work).
The new backlight is light blue in color and seems to impart a
paper-textured appearance to the Newton display. The light is
technically lower in light output than the default Newton backlight,
but overall visibility is noticeably improved.

So it does seem that if cleaning the touchsreen contacts doesn't cure
your jaggies, a new touchscreen will, at the cost of some cash (~$139 +
~$50 to have an installer put it in for you if you don't do it
yourself) and getting used to a different feeling touchscreen. Or, for
about the same cash outlay, you could take your chances with another
unit.

If you do decide to replace your touchscreen, I can highly recommend
the services of Charles Lewis <cjkjlewis_at_attbi.com>. I shipped my
Newton + the new kit from Calvin to him and he had it installed and
returned back to me in very short order. He was a real pleasure to do
business with, and I'm sure anyone electing to have him install a new
touchscreen/backlight will be pleased with his service.

-Jeremy

-
Jeremy Bond SHEPHERD | Americans practice different faiths in
San Francisco, CA | churches, synagogues, mosques and temples.
jbond_at_jameswhale.com | And many good people practice no faith
Phone: 415-929-0297 | at all.
ICQ: 72267083 | -- George W. Bush, finally gets it right
AIM: jeremybondsf | in his Easter Address of 2002
PGP key available on public keyservers.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html