[NTLK] Newton cost of ownership -HELP!

From: im-wired_at_attbi.com
Date: Wed Jan 29 2003 - 10:18:11 PST

As I approach convincing my wife that a 2nd Newton in the family is the way to
go, I'm having some doubts that I'd like to bounce off y'all. I'm hoping for
some creative solutions from the crowd.

I've been having great fun with File Pad and am excited about the prospect of
syncability with Filemaker via nSync some day in the future. That's the
functionalit that is most needed with my Wife and I. I don't really want to
surrender to giving up my custom FMP-based contact manager tool unless I
REALLY have to. Even Sync between FMP and Names would be fine too.

The promise of that capability is what has my wife basically sold on getting
the green brick vs. a Palm OS based gadget.

I just did my first sync test with the File Pad Syncronicity last night and
have come to realize that it's not a true, 2-way sync. It seems only the
Message Pad will update the FMP database... not vice versa. Is this correct
or did I miss a step?

I thought that type of transfer might tide us over until Newt Sync and it's
adjunctives are further along but I think she'll perceive it to be too much to
fuss with. I don't want her pissed that I steered her away from a Palm.

Also I noticed on the Everchanging web site that OS X is required for Newt
Sync.
John, is there any chance it could work with OS 9 in some limited fashion?

We have his-n-hers iMacs from a few years ago (266mhz with just 96mb of RAM).
I'm thinking that OS X might be a little too taxing for our old machines.
We'd have no reason (thus far) to get new 'puters to support OS X just yet;
other than to support our Newtons and ease of syncability with your product.

Are you following where I'm headed with this? In our case, the cost of
ownership for the Newton (cool as it is) is quickly looking like it might be
prohibitive. At least prohibitive to justify a 2nd newt in the family for my
wife who's not much in to tinkering like me.

Got any thoughts, suggestions, solutions for my scenario?

Many Many thanks!
David Busey
Beaverton, Oregon

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html