Re: [NTLK] Revisiting that old idea: Build our own Newton

From: Andy Roo (andy_roo_at_sympatico.ca)
Date: Thu Jan 30 2003 - 15:09:39 PST

        surely with the backing of all the spirit of the newton community, the
hardware could be created. the rest is business and money. here lies
the problem: only apple owns the tech behind the newton... and its not
only a matter of rights to the software (rom) as it is with macintosh,
there is the matter of the hardware designs. newton is not made from
off the shelf stuff, apparently, the cirrus logic chipset is so
proprietary that there is little point it pursuing such hardware hacks.
        plus, i like my newton. granted i would appreciate a smaller case etc,
but maybe we should look into a smaller scale project, like creating a
lithium polymer battery pack and internal charger. that would kick
major ass. what about a jog dial? that could be created... and plugged
into the internal serial. or maybe an accelerometer that can use hand
gestures for control, such as rotation, tipping for scrolling, etc. (as
seen in the compaq prototype, i forget the name.)

-andy roo

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html