[NTLK] totally OT: quicktake 200 quicktime IC

From: Steve Tedder (teasip_at_cox.net)
Date: Thu Jan 30 2003 - 16:28:38 PST

Some alternatives from andybaird.com...

There are alternatives to the supplied software from Apple and Fuji.
First and foremost, you can simply ditch the software, forget the
serial cable and go with a SmartMedia card reader (see the Adapters
page for details). It's sixty times faster, it works with any modern
computer and it costs as little as thirty bucks. I recommend it highly.
But assuming you want to use that serial cable...

Sheldon Presser discovered a little-known feature of the Mac shareware
program ImageViewer: it has QuickTake 200 input capability! To quote
from the website, "ImageViewer is a Mac application perfect for
locating, displaying, organizing and printing GIF, JPEG, PICT and TIFF
images. Use it to convert files from one graphic format to another and
create previews and icons...[plus] simple editing like crop, scale,
rotate, and invert, as well as adjusting brightness, contrast, and
sharpness."

You will need Apple's QuickTime IC system extensions to use this
feature of ImageViewer. These ship with every camera, of course...and
they used to be available for downloading from Apple's website--but no
longer. If you've lost your CD-ROMs, try CamerAid...or get a card
reader and abandon the serial-cable method altogether.

Another excellent shareware program that can download and work with
QuickTake 200 images is Juri Munkki's CamerAid. It downloads images
from most digital cameras, including the QuickTake 200 and Fuji DS-7,
and also has batch processing commands, the ability to name photos
automatically based on the time and date they were taken, and an "image
enhancement expert." Of special interest to owners of recent Macs:
version 1.1.4 and later "works around certain problems that MacOS 9
caused with many USB-to-serial adapters." Munkki is only asking $15 for
all this--a bargain!

If you have a FlashPath floppy adapter, you'll want to be sure you have
the latest driver software for it. All FlashPath adapters come with
software for Windows PCs, and the latest software for both Macs and PCs
is available for downloading on SmartDisk's website. For hints on using
the FlashPath software with Mac OS 8.5, see the Troubleshooting page.

Once you have the images on your Mac, you'll want to work with them and
perhaps convert them to other file formats. GraphicConverter from
LemkeSoft is a powerful shareware utility that can translate to and
from just about any file format you can name. It'll do batch
conversions and even slide shows. Well worth having--and paying for!

On Sunday, January 26, 2003, at 12:01 PM, Alex wrote:

> this is for Quicktake 200 users, sorry for the OT post, but I am in
> desperate need of the Quicktime IC extensions (2) that are used for
> the mac to recognize the Quicktake 200 camera. If anyone has these in
> their sys folder, could you pls email them to me directly? I've spent
> hours in web searches, only to find dead links.
>
> much appreciated!
> --
> inquiries
> List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html

Steve Tedder
Ah, the life of a frog. That's the life for me! --Bart Simpson
List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html