[NTLK] DHCP working with Orinoco Wireless/ABS? (was Re: [NTLK] questions on Newton

From: Darrell Greenwood (lists1_at_telus.net)
Date: Thu Jan 30 2003 - 19:20:32 PST

On 1/30/03 at 1:32 AM -0500, Laurent Daudelin wrote :

>Hmmm, because I'm operating my own web server, I have to have a manual
>configuration on my network, which each device having its own IP address.
>
>That might be an interesting test, if you can do it. Just configure your
>router and your Newton for manual configuration and see what happens.
>
>BTW, is your router wireless, or are you also using an AirPort Base Station
>or another wireless device to connect to your router?

I am using a Airport Base Station. It is sharing an IP address using
DHCP and NAT. I have a Orinoco Silver wireless card in my Newton.

The DHCP configuration on my Newton doesn't work for some reason
through the wireless card. It does through a ordinary Ethernet card.

Using a packet analyzer, I can see the outgoing DHCP requests but no
returning DHCP assignment. My experience with -60088 errors with
Nethopper or "Problem connecting. DHCP server unavailable" errors
with SimpleMail when using the DHCP configuration seem to be
consistent with this.

I am looking for someone who is sharing an IP address using DHCP and
NAT with a Apple Base Station to give me some insight on connection
and configuration, or if even DHCP is possible wirelessly. The
archives seem to indicate some others are having DHCP wireless
problems.

The DHCP server in the Apple Base Station is working fine assigning
IP addresses to the other three stations, I can see the DHCP packets
coming and going on the the local LAN and they get their IP
addresses. There are two older Macs wired and a wireless iBook on the
LAN in addition to the Newton. If I connect the Newton to the LAN
with a wired Ethernet card the DHCP works fine and it gets its IP
address.

Any thoughts out there on what I need to fix? Is it the driver? Is it
the card? Is it the configuration? Or something else?

Cheers,

Darrell

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html