Re: [NTLK] Revisiting that old idea: Build our own Newton

From: PaulMmn (PaulMmn_at_ix.netcom.com)
Date: Fri Jan 31 2003 - 20:17:17 PST

I think that the reason the Newton grabs hold of us so well is that
the Newton is a complete computer-- not a note pad, not a calendar,
not a clock, but a complete computer. What other handhelds can
handle all of the things the Newton can-- wireless, ethernet, modems,
web serving, reading email, audio, video, etc. etc. etc.

I confess I don't use my Newton anywhere near its capabilities-- my
'database' is mostly contained in a Franklin day planner. It stores
contacts, calendar, receipes, Christmas lists, sketch pad, etc. etc.
Things difficult to categorize.

I'm waiting for a computer that does all that Newton does, but
synchronizes to my desktop at work, and home, in the car, etc. etc.
all automatically-- I don't want to have to do any synchronization.
Maybe the main storage of the computer moves where I do. Maybe I
designate one of my computers as the Master, and everything uses the
wireless Internet network to phone home for everything I need. Even
better if I could designate one computer as 'Work,' and another as
'Personal,' and my work things were stored at work, and the home
things stored at home.

If there's an impeccable, unassailably honest, incorruptable company,
maybe link to a central storage service. Maybe run by Microsoft?
NOT! The company will have to never, never, EVER look at your data,
never pass it on to marketers. I'd only trust it if it used public
key encription, with 1024 bit or better key length that not even the
-government- could crack (this week, at least). That's encrypted
storage -and- encrypted transmissions! Of course, you'd have to
-pay- for such a service.

--Paul E Musselman
PaulMmn_at_ix.netcom.nospam.com

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html