Re: [NTLK] Lantern, Get_Card_Info.pkg & IBM Ethernet Credit CardII

From: David Holmes (dh_ntlk_at_delphys.net)
Date: Fri Jan 31 2003 - 21:52:19 PST

> Well, it's slightly different.
> When a card is inserted, the card server handles it. It tries to
> parse the CIS data. If it succeeds, it calls RecognizeCard on every
> registered card handler. Otherwise, it calls ParseUnrecognizedCard.
>
> Card handlers include the memory/communication card handler (this is
> a combo), Lantern card handler from ethernet cards, ATA card handler,
> GetCardInfo handler.

Paul, I appreciate all this useful detail. I will do some
more rereading and looking at code with this new info.

I decided to try another card I had as well but while this
one at least gets the RecognizeCard() it seems that the
productname is a problem - it is a Linksys with the ID
which includes the chars "(" and ")" and it seems I can't
make constants that will pass the Install (NE2K) no matter
what I try. Ok, so perhaps I'm a slightly better assembler
programmer than NewtonScripter.

> GetCardInfo is a very special card handler. It tells the system that

By "tells the system it doesn't recognize any card" you are
referring to the return value (kError_Unrecognized_Card) or
is there more to this process?

> it doesn't recognize any card and then it copies the data somehow to
> display it later from the NewtonScript task.

This also makes more sense now with your explanation about the
card handlers / Newton Devices. Let me see if I have this
right - because the other cards I tried had CIS data that the
card server could parse, the card server calls RecognizeCard()
so the original version of GetCardInfo works. But because the
IBM card has CIS data that the card server cannot parse, then
ParseUnrecognizedCard() is called. In the changed GetCardInfo
with the expanded ParseUnrecognizedCard(), now the new
  inCard->GetCardManufacturer() (etc.) works like RecognizeCard()
did and displays the data for the IBM card.

Thank-you again for all the help,
--david

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html