Re: [NTLK] re [OT] Happy Canada Day!

From: Technoir Support (technoir_at_sympatico.ca)
Date: Thu Jul 03 2003 - 09:49:13 PDT

On Thursday, July 3, 2003, at 03:27 am, lvr wrote:

> Grant
> Maybe you can fill us non-Canucks, or at least one ignorant, in on the
> significance of the day; like what happened (then)? (not as mundane as
> independence, is it?).

thankfully we never had to physically fight anyone for independence.
July 1 marks the anniversary of Confederation, when [in 1867] the first
4 provinces signed the agreement to form the country of Canada.
see here http://www.nlc-bnc.ca/2/18/index-e.html

> Always wondered why a country with American speaking (?) (oops, French
> too!) people exists seperate from the US (France?) -excuse my
> ignorance on
> north-western hemisphere history...

we [generally] have a twisted, modest but militant attitude that we are
distinct from our powerful neighbours. for sure our histories are very
different. i for one am glad we "exist separate" from the US (and
France!). we have much to call our own. come and find out some time!

st

ps: where the heck is ZAR??

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html