Re: [NTLK] AC adapter without battery-- should it work

From: Frank Gruendel (fg2_at_pda-soft.de)
Date: Fri Jul 04 2003 - 12:25:12 PDT

> I tested the AC adapter with a voltmeter, and I am getting
> just under 3 amps and about 7 volts DC.

Err... how did you obtain the Ampere value? Hopefully not by
setting the voltmeter to a current range and connecting the tips
to the ac adapter plug? Since the Newton AC adapter has overcurrent
protection, you won't kill it that way, but don't do this to
cheap adapters unless you have a second voltmeter, a second adapter
and a second life. Electrically a voltmeter set for measuring currents
can be compared to a piece of wire...

> The only thing I can think that might have changed is that I wiggled
> the prongs on the AC adapter yesterday to get the Newton to recognize
> the AC adapter (I was running under battery power at the time and I
> watched for the Newton to "see" the AC adapter). I wonder if there
was
> some oxidation on the AC adapter prong connections (inside the AC
> adapter) that was preventing good contact on the terminals.
> Does that sound plausible? Or do you think my AC adapter is going
bad?

I haven't yet had a chance to take an adapter apart. Depending on how
the connection between the prongs and the printed circuit board is made,
this may or may not be possible.

Frank

-- Newton Software and Hardware at http://www.pda-soft.de

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html