Re: [NTLK] Fund raising: Philz's back on tracks

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Tue Jul 08 2003 - 15:55:44 PDT

Il me semble que le 7/07/03 à 17:31 -0500, Woody Smith nous racontait:
> I will handle receiving money and shipping

Thank you very much Woody. I've sent you a summary of offers I got
privately and put the generous Newton users in copy.
If you contacted me privately and didn't get this message, first
thank you for your offer, second please apologize for having missed
it in the huge amount of offers I got privately and third, please
contact Woody as he's the only one who offered to handle this and
therefore I'm letting him doing it as I definitely lack time.

I'm particularly grateful for the responses I got both privately and
on the list. As I mentioned here and there, Philz is one of the most
capable Newton hackers around (by hacker I mean someone who likes
digging the bowels of our beasts to understand how it works and then
publish his discoveries, it has strictly no negative sense). Even if
Philz just publishes what he has discovered yet (without a Newton),
it's a huge step for us. But I wish Philz joins the ranks of active
Newton developers and he seemed to be interested in this data
recovery program that many Newton users will benefit (everyone who
has a linear card and lost data).

I've heard from a person I know of a card that died and made her lose
years of work. I've seen a card dying (fortunately for her owner,
I've just have backed it up seconds before the Newton wouldn't accept
it again). I don't mean that linear cards cannot be trust (I mean,
they're more reliable than ATA cards at the moment), it's just that
like any media it can fail and NewtonOS is very sensitive to failures
of these. We regularly get posts of people who have issues with these
cards, Ed Humes has some right now.

Anyway. Thank you very much for your support. I knew I would get some
positive replies but I didn't expect that many in a so short laps of
time. Once again, I'm amazed by the Newton community.

Woody, please keep us posted about how you organize things (I'm sorry
I definitely cannot spend the time doing so, Frank sent me his offer
twice because I didn't find the time to reply to it yet :)

This makes me think about the World Wide Conference Idea. While I met
some users in Europe, I'm still wondering how people I enjoy the
posts on the list are in real life and I'd love to meet some of the
anonymous lurkers who all have a reason to continue using these
machines.

Paul

--
Philosophie de baignoire - consultations sur rendez-vous.
NPDS: http://newton.kallisys.net:8080/