Re: [NTLK] Who else? Newtons and SF bike police

From: Mark Rollins (mark_at_mrollins.com)
Date: Thu Jul 10 2003 - 10:43:37 PDT

> From: Ed Kummel <tech_ed_at_yahoo.com>
--snip--
> main reason that the San Fransisco bike police stopped
> using Newtons. They strapped the Newton to their
> handle bars (using a shock mount) and ran a connector
> to an external CDPD modem using a dongle (the cdpd
> modem hung from the center bar near the bike seat).
--snip--

I met one of the developers on a plane flight a few years ago - using my
Newt and he stopped by. At the time (probably around 2000) they had migrated
to a PCMCIA wireless modem.

I also managed to get - now to find where I archived it - a Newton Book they
had created for the SFPD of the FBI's "10 Most Wanted".

As for "big users", does size matter? In my company - Thermo Electron - at
one point 100% of the EH&S staff used an Newton, there were just 2 of us
tho.

I also seem to recall the CA Office of Emergency Preparedness was an early
adopter of the Newton + Trimble GPS.

Taco bell had a Newton program with a temperature sensor (remote - the
Newt's wasn't dunked into the cooked food) to ascertain that food was kept
at the proper hot temperature.

I am pretty sure that Earnst & Young or whatever one of their progenitors
were used Newtons.

Monsanto had a program where salesmen could choose the crop, choose the size
of the farm, and choose the pest and fax an order to the warehouse for the
proper pesticide.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html