[NTLK] a jaggies story

From: Thomas Hart (those_at_mac.com)
Date: Fri Jul 11 2003 - 04:51:15 PDT

Hi everyone,
    Thought this might be of interest to those of us still suffering.
    After finding and reading everything I could on the subject of
jaggies, I decided to take the radical approach and take everything
apart. I did this because I was pretty sure that I had a warped case.
The door on a new 2100 has always been a little difficult so I figured I
would go this route first. I took it apart and scrapped the frame around
the screen, taking off very minute shavings, eye-balling it from the
side and repeating until I could no longer discern a difference in
heights. Put it back together, fired it up, and the jaggies were gone,
but only on vacation. They returned pretty quickly, so I did it again,
still no luck. Then, still convinced it was the case, I took the guts of
the 2100 and put into the case of my old 2000. Still no luck. This
morning, I took both appart and returned them to their respective homes,
but I switched the screens and guess what... No more jaggies. Not the
most elegant solution, but I use the thing a lot for taking notes and
couldn't afford the re-alignment requirements after every word.
    NewTest 1.0 was instrumental in showing me where the screen was
insensitve. IN this case it was the bottom and right edges. Before the
changes I could actually get the pen position test to read numbers
greater than the screen res. Maybe that is of interest to someone. I
actually got a reading of 488 at one point.
    On another topic altogether, has anyone considered the possibility
of chopping the top and botton parts of the Newton off, replacing the
battery with something about the size of the cover and having a touch
sensitive keyboard on the inside of it. It would make the Newton a lot
smaller without losing the screen size, synching and installation could
be done via ehternet etc. Just a thought.

Thomas

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html