Re: [NTLK] Harry Potter

From: Henry Stukenborg (hjstukenborg_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon Jul 14 2003 - 05:25:46 PDT

Gert,

>> That is illegal.
> Even if you own the book and only give it to people who own it too?

Check the list archive - there was a long discussion about this topic
several months ago. As I remember the interpretation from various lawyers on
the list copyright law does not allow you to redistribute the material in
any other form beyond the original (i.e., you could give your copy of the
book to someone). I seem to recall that even producing such a work for your
own use could be considered a violation, but check the archive for
verification.

I'm not saying I agree with the law (I don't).

-Henry

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html