Re: [NTLK] Recelled battery

From: Frank Gruendel (fg2_at_pda-soft.de)
Date: Wed Jul 16 2003 - 17:31:40 PDT

> Anyway, I wanted to ask if anyone else had seen this:
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3034859565$20newtontalk>

> and whether they know of anybody on this list or off that will do the
> same work for less?

I will not do exactly the same work, but nearly, and cheaper.

Some comments as for this auction:

> Approx 75% longer length than a brand new battery from any other
seller!

I find this a bit daring. This would imply knowing EVERY other seller
and
what exactly he sells. If I were to sell a pack refurbished by me,
the difference would be 250 mAh. This would make the battery sold in the

auction 13.5 percent better than mine and not 75%. Admittedly the seller
says "approximately", but in my opinion this is a VEEERY rough
approximation.
The 75% increase is correct only for batteries containing 1200 mAh cells
like those Apple originally used.

> Every other seller on ebay is selling batteries manufactured in 1997

This is definitely not true. For one, this would imply knowing EVERY...
(see previous paragraph). Apart from that, to the best of my knowledge
when the Newton 2x00 was discontinued manufacture of
batteries continued for some time after that to make sure there would
be enough replacement parts available.

> and these packs are already near the end of their cycle life

Not if they have been correctly stored and never been used. They will
probably be not as good as they used to be, but they will be far from
the end of their life cycle.

> INCLUDED IS AN UNHEARD OF 1 YEAR WARRANTY

This is in fact unusual, and I like this idea. It wouldn't hurt, though,
to inquire which services are included warranty-wise before you bid.

Personally I find even the starting bid a bit steep and the buy it now
sum a bad joke. You should be aware that there are people out there
who will refurbish any dead battery pack they are sent with 1850 mAh
cells at 35 USD plus shipping (see
http://www.pda-soft.de/mp2k_battery_pack.html
for details).

Frank