Re: [NTLK] where to buy a serial cable

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Thu Jul 17 2003 - 11:05:10 PDT

On Thursday, July 17, 2003, at 05:42 AM, suppaman wrote:

> Hi,
> where can I buy a serial cable for my 2100 ? How much it will cost ?
>
> There are Newton-Mac and Newton-RS232 cable right? Are they the same?
> Would it
> be better to take an old mac or a pc or a usb adapter ?

If you have an old mac sitting around you can use that with any
imagewriter/stylewriter type serial cable (peripheral 8 cable).

Basically this is the cable with mini din 8 connectors at both ends...

This assumes you also have the dreaded serial dongle which adapts the
Newtons "special" interconnect port to good old mini din 8. Either the
dongle or The SER0001 which in a built in mini din 8 connector is
necessary for the method I am describing.

Once you get your newton (2000/2100) setup this way then you can use
either an ethernet card or a wireless card with it, and move to a more
modern mac.

Buying the usb to serial thing is an expensive and slow pain in the
butt, but if you have only a newer mac and an mp 120/130 it's your only
viable option.

Hope this helps,
Marty

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html