Re: [NTLK] 2100 battery charging time

From: Nicholas F Pasch (npasch_at_rolltronics.com)
Date: Sun Jul 20 2003 - 07:37:57 PDT

Hi Frank,

        I stand by my statement about NiCad's for this reason. Over several
seasons of racing model cars and boats, I discovered a battery balancing
technique that apparently everyone else knew. A monthly discharging of the
6 cell sub-C packs with a resistor and then a shorting strap, to bring the
pack to dead, dead, dead. It sits that way for a couple of days to a week
with the strap in place and is then recharged. First trickle charge for
about an hour and then fast rate charge to completion. The result is a pack
with a slightly lower internal resistance, as measured by its increased
voltage, and an incredibly well balanced pack. Have never had a pack croak
out with this treatment, but note, the total pack capacity seems to be
reduced to about the level of the worst cell in the pack. FYI, and I know
it doesn't seem reasonable.

Best Regards,
Nick Pasch

Nicholas F. Pasch
Director of Engineering
Rolltronics Corporation
750 Menlo Avenue #200
Menlo Park, CA 94025
http://www.rolltronics.com
npasch_at_rolltronics.com
650-566-8471 main office
650-269-0658 cell
408-734-9620 fax

NOTICE: This communication may contain privileged or other confidential
information of Rolltronics Corporation. If you are not the intended
recipient, or believe that you have received this communication in error,
please do not print, copy, retransmit, disseminate, or otherwise use the
information. Also, please indicate to the sender that you have received this
email in error, and delete the copy you received. Thank you.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html