[NTLK] Need crossover cable?

From: Mike Matthews (mike920_at_pacbell.net)
Date: Thu Jul 24 2003 - 13:06:10 PDT

Hi.
I connected my Newton MP 2100 (using a Farallon Etherwave adapter)
directly to my G4 Cube with a standard Cat 5 ethernet cable. And all
appeared to be well. However, fussing around with the synchronize
options in nSync created a popping sound on the Cube and the Newton
screen went blank. Turning the Newton on showed the password keypad,
but entering the password resulted in blank screen. Pushing the reset
button appeared to have no effect. Ejecting and reinserting PC cards
brought up the usual dialog box, but also a blank screen when
dismissed. Eventually, I removed all PC cards and reinserted them and
that fixed it, for some reason. The Newton seemed to reset itself,
perhaps from earlier attempt to reset.

So, do I need a cross-over cable to avoid this problem?

Thanks,
mm

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html