Re: [NTLK] ATA Support question.

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Sun Jul 27 2003 - 14:31:30 PDT

Il me semble que le 27/07/03 à 14:47 -0300, Andre Garzia nous racontait:
> But i can't mount it... as=20
>soon as i do anything a "star" pops up showing "unmount all slot #1" is=20=
>
>this a demo limitation, like you can build it but no use it? or i've=20
>got a strange bug?

It's not a bug, it's a design philosophy.

When you mount an ATA store, you can unmount it any time with the
star menu. Just leave it alone until you want to unmount the stores
on your card.

The rationale is that you need to unmount all stores before ejecting
the card. There is no alert like "Newton still needs the card you
removed, please reinsert it" with ATA cards because this requires
quite a lot of reverse engineering, locking the kernel when it tries
to swap memory pages and stuff like this, not an easy task. I'll try
to achieve it some day but in the meantime, the Newton will simply
reboot if you remove an ATA card with a store mounted on it. Hence
the star to quickly unmount it and do it any time. With the star,
ejecting an ATA card is faster than a linear card since in most cases
Newton will ask you to insert the card back and you'll have to wait
for it to deactivate packages and tell you you can unmount the card.

Still, you can disable the star in the preferences if you think it's
intrusive or you just don't like it. Then tap the Card icon and
unmount the stores from the card slip.

Paul

--
Philosophie de baignoire - consultations sur rendez-vous.
NPDS: http://newton.kallisys.net:8080/