Re: [NTLK] Speak Text Volume Control & Audio Dongle

From: David Deranian (deranian_at_mac.com)
Date: Tue Jul 29 2003 - 20:01:05 PDT

Thanks Doug and everyone, that did the trick. Now I can listen to my
email by putting the Newton up to my ear and not get blasted out. Of
course, if anybody has an audio dongle they'd like to sell so I could
use headphones I'd be thrilled. I know those are hard to come by, and
I'm not techie enough to make my own.

Seriously, if anyone has a source for audio dongles or would be willing
to make me one or two for a price, please contact me off list and let
me know.

Thanks again,
-Dave
------------
On Tuesday, July 29, 2003, at 12:46 PM, Doug Parker wrote:

>> Does anyone know if it's possible to turn the volume up or down when
>> using
>> Speak Text? It seems there is only one volume, which is quite loud.
>> The
>> master volume control slider in Extras does not seem to effect how
>> loud or
>> soft the computer voice is, even if you turn the master volume all
>> the way
>> down. If there's no built-in solution, is there any 3rd party Package
>> that
>> would provide this functionality?
>
> Yes, it is possible.
>
> Obscure Newton solution #389: In your code place this string:
>
> [[volm 0.1]]
>
> for vewy, vewy quite, and
>
> [[volm 1.0]]
>
> for vewy, vewy loud.
>
> It's documented somewhere in the Macintalk docs, along with a bevy of
> other
> inline commands. Offhand, I don't know where or if that bevy might be
> on UNNA.
>
> Anyone else?
>
> Doug Parker
> Orlando, FL USA