Re: [NTLK] newton 110

From: Blair Rosser (newton_at_7thfloormedia.com)
Date: Tue Jul 29 2003 - 20:56:51 PDT

That's pretty much how I felt returning to the fold.

I sold a NeXT computer (sorry Steve ... well, not really ;-), and bought
two OMPs that quickly became the centre of my user interface universe.
The problem was the OMP wasn't all that good at HWR, and the note-taking
was what I really wanted. Coming back to the Newton around 2001 I
managed to get a loaner 130, and really enjoyed the backlighting, and
the Newton OS 2.0 generally. The problem was, it really didn't keep up
with me and my 21st century need for speed.

Within about 4 months I convinced myself that I couldn't live without a
2100 or a 2000u (mostly from reading accounts on NewtonTalk). So, off to
ebay I went, and put in my first ever ebay bid on a 2000u. I ended up
winning (without much ado) and picked up a 2000u for $57US from Gem
Enterprises. That was March 2002. Prices are comparable today.

From what I've read on this list, there are a lot of happy 110, 120, 130
and emate owners out there, but for me it came down to 5 things:

1. speed
2. Macintalk
3. ethernet/wireless
4. 2 pcmcia slots
5. mp3 playback

In some ways, my main motivation for upgrading was to be able to play
mp3s on my Newton. I just thought that would be too cool. As it turns
out, I just can't be bothered to get the mp3s transferred. It's a
cost/benefit analysis that does not (for me) end up on the plus side.

Numbers 1-4 are the real reasons I can't go back to my 130. I use the
ethernet connectivity infrequently, but when I do it gives me easy and
fairly quick access to web pages through Newtscape (which I bought on
the strength of it's scheduling and batch download features). I can
download all kinds of file types includes .PKG files, and I can do
backups over appletalk at better than serial connect speeds. With 2
pcmcia slots I can have a fair sized storage card in place *as well as*
an ethernet or wireless card. And, finally, I absolutely love the
ability to have text read to me "on the go", a feature that the 1x0
devices don't support. I would have to say that at least one third of my
Newton usage is having text read to me when I'm on the bus or washing
dishes - whatever.

David, I think it's great that you've rediscovered an old inanimate (or
perhaps not) friend, but you may find that an upgrade will really give
you what you need (and more).

Regards,
blair

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html