Re: [NTLK] AA NiCd battery source

From: Peter Cameron (pdwc_at_sympatico.ca)
Date: Fri Jun 13 2003 - 06:32:58 PDT

on 6/12/03 6:55 PM, Michael J. Hu=DFmann at michael_at_michael-hussmann.de wrote=
:
> Jerry Lorengo (covellitejunky_at_yahoo.com) wrote:
>> The reason that I want and need NiCd's is because I'm
>> getting the charging cradle for the 110/120/130. It is
>> my understanding that the charging circuitry of the
>> charging station and my newton can be damaged by metal
>> hydride cells. Am I correct or just spouting a 9th
>> hand rumor?
> In my experience, this is wrong. (Although the 9W Power Adapter, if
> available, is to be preferred.)
    The charging circuitry of the 1x0 Newtons and the charging station was
designed for charging NiCd cells, not NiMH. There are differences in how th=
two kinds of cells are charged (that's why dual chargers have that little
switch to select cell type). Charging NiMH in a 1x0 Newton may "work" but
it's not good for the charging circuitry of the Newton or for the cells
since they are not being charged properly.

Peter

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html