Re: [NTLK] PC/eMate communication problems

From: Anthony Velasco (ecotone_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon Jun 16 2003 - 12:04:04 PDT

Try moving your previous backup to another directory for safe-keeping. This means that NCU will have to start a new backup set, so it will take a little longer to do this "first" backup. This has worked for me, but not always... not clear what's going on because I'll try it days to weeks later and it will be successful.

Others have suggested that there may be a corrupted soup. I would think that it would reveal itself in the backups to the Mac at home...haven't found any problems though, when backing up to the Mac.

Final recommendations - buy a cheap, old Mac. Or, install the Basilisk emulator (which requires the ROM from a cheap old Mac). Or, buy SBM Utilities (my preferred alternative), and backup to another flash card (or two).

On Monday, June 16, 2003, at 01:26PM, <sarah_at_ettinburg.com> wrote:

> Hello, all --
>
> I have an eMate 300 and a PC running Win2000, and a serial cable to
>connect the two, along with Newton Connection Utility v. 1.0. When I
>originally got my eMate (all of a week ago), I had trouble importing or
>exporting Works files from one to the other. I could dock just fine, and
>install packages just fine, but backing up or importing/exporting files
>didn't work. My PC would disconnect and I'd get the message "The connection
>was stopped because of a communication error. (-1)"
>
> I thought I'd fixed the problem by downloading the program 'slowdown'
>and running it while I docked. That seemed to fix it, and I successfully
>transferred a couple of files. But for some reason, that's stopped working,
>and 'slowdown' isn't fixing the problem anymore.
>
> Has anyone any ideas for me to try?
>
> Thanks for your time,
>
> -- Sarah
>
>--
>This is the NewtonTalk list - http://www.newtontalk.net/ for all inquiries
>List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html
>Official Newton FAQ: http://www.chuma.org/newton/faq/

  Anthony Velasco, USFWS-Ecologist/ecotoxicologist
              ecotone_tv_at_hotmail.com
This Newt's trekking through cactusland and lov'n it!
 Managing Sales and Licensing for Newton Software at:
 http://www.thisoldnewt.com/~tactilesales/index.html
 or  http://www.tactile.com - Tactile Systems, Inc.
 Contact me via the above E-mail for more information
List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html