Re: [NTLK] Phoenix ala Newton? (rumor alert)

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Tue Jun 17 2003 - 12:05:37 PDT

on 6/17/03 6:49 PM, Eric L. Strobel at fyzycyst_at_comcast.net wrote:

> Why? I just don't get it. There's way too much complication around the
> cell phone as it is without adding more unnecessary capabilities. It's a
> *phone* for crying out loud, you make calls on it. No other functionality
> is needed. My 5 year old cell phone works just fine, so I'm certainly not
> going to waste money on something that plays games and crap.

I thought so too, until I got my Nokia 6210, that is. Very useful to have
addresses, calendar, and other goodies in it. In fact, I find myself making
notes on it simply because I can do it with one hand, in traffic, without
looking at the screen. Try that with a Newton. Somebody--Samsung, I think,
just came out with a phone with the Palm OS. What they have done differently
is separate the Grafitti section from the screen. Grafitti is on the bottom,
with the numbers. Simple idea, but very workable. It is little things like
this that help.

But to address the "too much complication" issue, look at what Apple has
done with MP3 players. Or look at the iTunes Music Store. If anybody could
simplify the complicated device that is the cell phone, then Apple could. I
would bet that if they were to build it, I, at least, would come. I cannot
imagine them building a complicated, confusing device, and drool thinking
about a useful, yet powerful cell phone. (mp3, photos, video?, voice notes,
etc...) Yep, would be nice--and make it modular to boot? Nifty! :-)

--
Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland