Re: [NTLK] Wlan+Appletalk problems

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Thu Jun 19 2003 - 10:13:25 PDT

On 19/06/03 12:20, "Gert Menke" <g.menke_at_gmx.net> wrote:

> Hi Peter,
>
>> That card may not know how to route appletalk and instead drop it at
>> garbage.
> Well, it's Appletalk over ethernet, right? A card that cannot handle this
> should not be called ethernet card, IMHO. My card is in fact a relabelled
> Lucent WaveLan Silver. Can it really be the card's fault? That'd make me
> quite unhappy... :-(
>
> Thanks,
> Gert

Well, there is a distinction to be made between Ethernet, the transport
layer, and EtherTalk, a protocol using Ethernet as the transport. There are
actually a few network protocols that run over Ethernet. Most cards will
support them, but occasionally, you can run into incompatibilities,
specially with a protocol like EtherTalk, which is, I guess, not widely
used...

-Laurent.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html