Re: [NTLK] 100

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net)
Date: Thu Jun 19 2003 - 19:45:47 PDT

on 19/06/03 22:24, Woody Smith at woody_at_bitstream.net wrote:

> Hi Chris
> I don't have a 100 but you could start reading
> http://www.chuma.org/newton/faq/newton-faq-nos.html#IIIB3
> I am guessing that you will need a serial port and one of the os x
> installers for loading software. I use NewTen. For backups i suspect
> you will need classic or perhaps a Flash card.
> Others can tell you about batteries though much has been written about
> batteries, check faq ond the archives.
> Woody
> On Thursday, June 19, 2003, at 06:47 PM, crashrepair wrote:
>> I am new but allways wanted one, now i have a 100,can you point me at
>> links to faqs on connecting to 733 quicksilver on 10.2.5ish, also best
>> batteries?
>> thanks
>> Chris

Unfortunately, there are not a lot of choices to do anything from 10.2.5ish
to a 100, except trying to run Newton Connection Utilities 2.0.2 in Classic
on your QuickSilver. I'm not sure about NewTen, though. The recently
introduced OS X application "NewtSync" works with Newton that run the Newton
OS 2.0. The 100 runs 1.0.5 or 1.1.1 (I think) at best. So, you're only
option is NCK. However, I don't remember reading from anybody that this
setup does work under Classic in OS X. Maybe someone will chime in...

With the recent drop in Newton prices on eBay, why don't you do you a favor
and get a nice 2100? It's really a drop in the bucket when compared to a
shiny QuickSilver 733!!!

-Laurent.

flowchart n.: [techspeak] An archaic form of visual control-flow
specification employing arrows and 'speech balloons' of various shapes.
Hackers never use flowcharts, consider them extremely silly, and associate
them with COBOL programmers, card wallopers, and other lower forms of life.
This attitude follows from the observations that flowcharts (at least from a
hacker's point of view) are no easier to read than code, are less precise,
and tend to fall out of sync with the code (so that they either obfuscate it
rather than explaining it, or require extra maintenance effort that doesn't
improve the code). See also PDL, sense 1.
List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html