Re: [NTLK] More about my wlan/appletalk trouble...

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Fri Jun 20 2003 - 13:47:27 PDT

Il me semble que le 20/06/03 à 22:34 +0200, Gert Menke nous racontait:
>Uuuhhhh - there's definately data in the packets that does not belong there!
>(Parts of an url that I entered into NewtsCape before.) Seems like there's a
>buffer that is not correctly initialized by the Wireless driver. :-(
>
>Is it actually the ethernet card driver that generates the packages, or is it
>NIE or something else? Should I try an older version of Noguchi's driver and
>see if it makes any difference?

Gert, I have weird problems with AppleTalk and the Newton as well, I
suspect a weird combination of NewtonOS, NIE, Hiroshi's Driver,
Airport Extreme Base Station and MacOS X.

It's even weirder than weird.

Newton -> Airport Extreme -> DCL (old code or fresh new revised AppleTalk code)
Can see the Mac in the browser (i.e. NBP works), but cannot connect
(ADSP fails).

Newton -> Airport First Generation -> DCL: works.
Newton -> Airport Extreme -> NCU in Classic: works.
Newton -> Airport Extreme -> DCL + tcpdump running on the Mac: works.

Also, AE firmware update 5.1 simply will not let me connect my
Newton. And I got some reports that putting the card in b/g mode will
also prevent the Newton to connect.

Anyway. Good luck to solve your problem. You can send packets
manually if you want with a tool called Bobby. It's a Newton package
to debug Ethernet drivers.

Normally, the drivers doesn't define AppleTalk packets as AppleTalk
is handled by Lantern itself.

Paul

--
NPDS: http://newton.kallisys.net:8080/