Re: [NTLK] Dongle

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Mar 03 2003 - 21:58:32 PST

Because the dongle port has a limited life span.
Constant use of the port will inevitably destroy the
port forever. Once the port has been compromised, it
will NEVER function the same again with the same level
of reliablilty. I plugged a keyboard into my port for
years. Eventually, the port failed (pushed in) and
would no longer function. I attempted to fix it and it
worked long enough for me to perform a backup and send
to Apple. They "fixed" the port as well, but it only
lasted long enough for me to restore my backup. Since
then, it's been a lost cause. I have since invested in
the SER-001. I don't plug things into that end of the
Newt anymore (I use ethernet) but it gives me "warm
and fuzzies" knowing that it's there when I need it.
The only way I can see a "docking station" working
reliably without damage to the Newton's NIC is to
place the Newton in a "staging" platform, then through
the use of a automated lever system a-la the duo
docking station for Mac, manoever the Newton onto the
awaiting port. This would minimize lateral stress on
the NIC and give repeatable performance for the long
term.
Ed
web/gadget guru
come and see my Newt on the web (well, mostly) at:
http://65.84.243.167

--- Chris Lang <clang_at_power-soft.net> wrote:
> I have serious looked into project this as I have a
> friend who can make
> small runs of PCB's. The biggest issues are the
> unique parts required,
> the interconnect connector is no longer manufactured
> by JAE or stocked,
> a comparable replacement would need to be found. The
> only other major
> item is the IC needed to drive the serial connector,
> it looks like
> Linear Technology still it.
>
> As for demand, I am sure there are a 100 or so
> people who would purchase
> a "Super Dongle", but why stop there, who not go
> full out and also make
> a docking station?
>
> Chris

=====
"A spirit of national masochism prevails, encouraged by the impudent core of effete snobs who characterize themselves as intellectuals"
 - Spiro Agnew, 1970