Re: [NTLK] Thanks for the input folks was Re: Contest at This Old Newt is over

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Tue Mar 04 2003 - 02:25:30 PST

Il me semble que le 4/3/03 à 11:07 +0100, Robert Benschop nous racontait:
> > Like I've got nothing better to do with my time than make "healthy use" of
> > Google and TON archives to search for answers?
>
>Which brings us back to Rich's original question, do we really want a
>contest and in this case specifically, how much do we want to do for it.

The question is how difficult this should be. Should it be a lottery instead?
The only time I played, the questions were very easy. In few seconds
you would google and get the answer. And indeed I won a keyboard.

> > Besides, being able to perform a "healthy" search means BEING ABLE TO KNOW
>> what to search for, i.e. as in my original statement, you have to be one of
>> the "enlightened ones" in order to know where to start looking.
>
>Not really true, I just entered the data from the question.
>Like 'Was Steven Brown in the original Apple/Newton development team?' would
>give you some data to enter in Google. 'Steven Brown Newton development'
>would probably do the job.
>I fail to see why everybody couldn't do this.

You're right. Actually, I realized that the sandwich question was
difficult because the web page where the answer is doesn't include
sandwich.

The question was: 'What would be a Newtons Favorite Sandwhich?'
The replies were:
- Baloney
- Bacon. Lettuce, Tomato and Garlic
- T.U.N.A.
- Turkey Club
- P.B. n J.
- Egg and Cheese
- Big Mac

Some replies can be obviously discarded such as Big Mac.

The good answer is "Bacon Lettuce Tomato & Garlic". However,
searching for Newton "Bacon. Lettuce Tomato and Garlic" doesn't yield
to the result.

Newton Bacon Lettuce Tomato and Garlic yields to the result only on
page 2 where you can find the change log of Newton Glossary.
Newton MessagePad Bacon Lettuce Tomato and Garlic yields to the
result immediatly.

BTW, looking for the page
(http://www.thisoldnewt.com/quiz/quiz4.html), I just realized that
the answer was in the HTML source code. :-/

Paul

--
NPDS: http://newton.kallisys.net:8080/
Apache: http://www.kallisys.com/