Re: [NTLK] Opinions on web browsers

From: Grant Hutchinson (grant_at_splorp.com)
Date: Sun Mar 16 2003 - 18:22:28 PST

In a previous message, Karl and Kathleen Prihoda typed vigorously:

>Net Hopper seems to work but it won't display some sites. I get a 404
>message, but my desktop goes to it just fine.

NetHopper is a faster browser, but it's one big limitation is the fact
that it only understands HTTP 1.0. HTTP 1.1 allows (among other things)
the ability to serve multiple hosts or domains from the same IP address.
That's why you get the 404s.

>Newt'Cape works, but it is really slow. Is it just downloading the web
>pages as a standalone page to read? The hyperlinks don't always work.

Newt's Cape beats NetHopper in terms of functionality, flexibility and
compatibility. But yes, it is a bit tardier at rendering pages. You have
to weigh one feature/performance set against the other and perhaps keep
both apps loaded on your Newton.

The one browser that I have never used myself is LunaSuite - which is
it's own can of worms. Other folks on the list would be better suited to
comments on this one.

g.

Grant Hutchinson
Interface Considerations & Toys