Re: [NTLK] Waterproofing a Newt

From: Dylan Stewart (rxs015500_at_utdallas.edu)
Date: Mon Mar 17 2003 - 14:45:53 PST

How permanent do you want this mounting to be? Also, what model is your
Newt?

The following is for the 2X00 (which I have). I haven't ever seen or used a
1X0, so I can't give you advice for it.

I can think of several ways to waterproof it, but they all require slight
modifications such as removing the power switch and replacing it with an
external button (maglight style). Of course, you could use the punch-out in
the hinge to connect whatever to your motorcycle. It looks about 10 pins
long, so that takes care of audio out and power rather nicely.

Other than that, you would have to put some sealant between the screen and
the rest of the case. The screen, itself is waterproof, but the electronics
behind it are not.

As for a stylus, you could use either a nub on a glove or a tethered stylus.
I would go with the first since that would not require fumbling around for
said stylus or working against a cord retractor.

The rest of the case would just be solid. No access to PCMCIA without
removing the Newt, but you wouldn't need PCMCIA on a motorcycle. You
wouldn't need access to power or serial on a motorcycle either. Just cover
the entire thing except for the screen which you put a nice, tight seal on.

Of course, putting the amount of pressure required for a good seal on the
screen might cause jaggies.

 Dylan Stewart AC5ZH

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html