[NTLK] HP wireless card works with Newton (and Mac?)

From: Michael Blazer (m.blazer_at_utoronto.ca)
Date: Mon Mar 17 2003 - 17:16:19 PST

If you're looking for a WiFi card, you might be interested to know that the
Hewlitt-Packard "Invent" 802.11b PC card, model HN220W, works perfectly in
the Newton with the Hiroshi driver.

Not surprising, because it physically appears to be just a re-branded Lucent
Orinoco card. But you wouldn't necessarily know that without actually
seeing one. Mine already has 128-bit encryption out of the box.

Also, although the box and HP's web site say nothing about Mac
compatibility, the card ships with MacOS 9 driver on the CD, and an OSX
freeware 3rd-party driver is available (although I haven't yet got it to
work in my PowerBook).

Thought I'd mention it because in Canada this card is currently available
new for $70 (around $45 U.S.), and I imagine it's fairly easy to come by
elsewhere.

Michael

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html